Words and Music - TV Smith by Tim Cross and TV Smith

Have any interesting TV Smith News? Post it here!
apgrundy

Words and Music - TV Smith by Tim Cross and TV Smith

Post by apgrundy »

From TV's Facebook page:
"Some of you may already know of the Tim Cross Music Project page on Facebook, documenting the life and work of my long time musical collaborator, arranger, and producer Tim Cross, who sadly passed away in 2012. Now Dave Thompson, who created the site, has put together an album illustrating some of Tim's key work with me, including some very rare versions of my songs that Tim recorded on his own, as well as instrumentals and previously unheard demos and mixes that have been dug out from the vaults. You can have a listen and buy the album here:"
https://timcrossmusicproject.bandcamp.c ... XSmxnwesiA

Us and Them (instrumental version) 04:28
Television's Over (Tim Cross version 2) 03:38
Last Words of the Great Explorer (instrumental demo) 05:07
The Easy Way (Tim Cross) 03:43
London Beach (demo) 01:38
My Trojan Horse (live, 1984) 05:12
Lucky Us (demo) 03:13
Today (demo) 04:04
The Lion and the Lamb (demo) 04:00
Driver or Passenger (album version) 03:27
Man Down (album version) 03:19
A Trouble To Yourself ("TC's Just For Fun" mix) 03:17
Dangerous Playground (alternate mix) 03:56
Us and Them (alternate mix) 04:23
Bonus track - Shoes (Chelsea Girl in-store jingle) 00:40
about
Between spring 1979 and his death in July 2012, Tim Cross recorded no less than eight albums alongside TV Smith, together with sufficient additional material to populate almost as many again. This included the singles "Lies," "Coming Round" and "Xmas Bloody Xmas," the EP Dangerous Playground, his production work on 1989's Cheap album, and many of the demos and out-takes that made up TV's Sparkle In The Mud and Lucky Us archive collections.

Words & Music - TV Smith only scratches the surface of this vast corpus. But, with 11 previously unreleased tracks drawn from both TV and TC's archives, it offers a unique glimpse into the inner workings of their collaboration, via live recordings, unheard demos and alternate mixes, and TC's own covers of TV material.

It was a relationship that helped define both musicians' careers - TC was there when TV made the decision to break up the Adverts in 1979, and strike out with a new band, the Explorers; and there, too, when he abandoned band work altogether, to relaunch himself as a solo performer in the early 1990s. In return, TV helped broaden both TC's musical horizons as they developed new working methods and styles.

The results, as fans of both artists will agree, was some of the most unique, and forward-looking music of its era.
credits
released January 7, 2023